Sneak Peak

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Surrounded Islands by Christo and Jeanne-Claude

Biscayne Bay, Greater Miami, Florida, 1980
credit here
Opinion: I have always been an environmentalist of sorts- I am a diligent recycler, I use solar light instead of electricity, and I believe in global warming. When I first saw this picture, I thought it was a stupid idea. However, the more I thought about, the more I realized the genius of it. People react to what they can see with their own two eyes and so much of the destruction on our environment is not visible to the naked eye. Christo and Jeanne-Claud found a way to visibly show people the effect that their actions have on our environment and I think that is awesome.

Theory: The Surrounded Islands were part of the environmentalist art that came out of the environmentalist movement. For two weeks, eleven islands in Biscayne Bay in Miami, Florida were surrounded with specially fabricated pink polypropylene fabric.The purpose was to bring about the awareness of people as to what we do to our environment. The whole concept is that it doesn’t take much to destroy the environment, but to create awareness, it takes years. They are making a political statement. 

No comments:

Post a Comment