Sneak Peak

Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Unique Forms of Continuity in Space by Umberto Boccioini

Exhibited at Museum of Modern Art, New York, 1913
credit here

Opinion: I was surprised I liked Boccioni’s piece because it is abstract and I do not usually like abstract art. However, I think what I appreciated was the idea of it- of Boccioni representing movement. I look at his sculpture and with its planes, shining surface, and twists, I can understand his purpose and think its a cool idea. 

Theory: Unique Forms of Continuity in Space was made during the Futurists movement. As the word expresses it, the futurists believed in any mechanical thing that brought forward new inventions and they were primarily interested in technology and movement. This piece depicts the movement of a man running. His sculpture the sensation of movement, not fixed movement in space. The figure is so “broken in plane and contour that it disappears, as it were, behind the blur of its movement” (Gardner, Page 1021).

No comments:

Post a Comment